Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bottling & Pondering

Tonight I bottled the O Tannenbock Spruce ale. It is here where I appreciate brewing in 1-gallon batches, as I only had to sterilize 5 22-oz bottles.  Clean-up was a breeze as well.

I never took a hydrometer reading, so I don't have a sense for the ABV.  The overall flavor was quite sweet, perhaps due to the 3 oz of maple syrup used to prime the bottles.  The spruce flavor was not apparent. If it's not great, I won't be wasting a large batch!!

Tasting the unfinished beer also made me ponder what Simcoe hops are.  Apparently it is a relatively new (2000) American hop, from the Yakima Chief Ranches of Sunnyside WA.  It has a very distinct aroma of citrus, grapefruit and pine and is likely a good complement to the spruce bough.  It is mostly used as an aroma hop, but due to its low"alpha" acid cohumulone makes this a good bittering hop.  Noble hops tend to have low cohumulone acids.

No comments:

Post a Comment